Thursday, August 21, 2008

A beginning

I guess one has to begin before one can finish.  For several years now I've admired and probably envied, if I'm honest, blogs I have read.  The interests, insights, writing abilities, thoughts and honesty of bloggers has intrigued me.  My first thought was I can't do that.  Well maybe not like others but I'm going to try.  My first challenge was coming up with a blog name.  I called my daughter-in-law, Barbie,  I was just thinking  and she asked several questions to which I had no answers.  Her questions did stir some thinking and I was reminded of where I am in my life.  I am a finisher.  So a question is how am I going to finish?  You ask, finish what?  How am I going to finish my life here on earth?  Thus the title to my blog is,  Finishing well, is it a question or a statement?
Two years ago my life changed, just as it has changed periodically over the last 60 some years.  Those changes included, but are not limited to, growing up oldest in a family of 3 children, going to college, getting married, having children, moving several times from where I grew up, children growing up and moving away, aging parents, being a caretaker, deaths, births, serious illnesses and finally retirement.  I didn't officially retire but my husband, John, retired after some 40 years of engineering.  Once again my life changed.  I have not been a person who had a lot of goals or who deliberated much on the future.   In hind sight I regret this.  God has been gracious to me over my lifetime in spite of my passiveness.  As we look at the stages of life, retirement usually comes in the latter stages of life.  Fortunately we're still healthy and have years ahead of us, so how are we going to use them? I want to be more deliberate in my choices.  I don't want regrets.
 I've admired people who have a life verse they can claim.  I would like to be able to say with Paul (2 Tim 4:7-8) "I have fought the good fight.  I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."....And verse 8, what a promise...."Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day-and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. " 
I hope this blog helps me focus and keep "running the race". 

4 comments:

Barb said...

"just as it has changed periodically over the last 60 some years." That's a good reminder that life consists of consistent change - that's a sure bet. Expect it, live with it, enjoy it and life will be more enjoyable. I look forward to reading your quirky and unique thoughts and see what direction your life will be going next. You are an inspiration to me, our family and I know those around you.

Viola Larson said...

Hi Suzanne,

Both the title of your blog and your first posting are so well thought out I am sure your blog is going to be very interesting to read. Well, actually, it already is.

Your description of how you need to face these latter years describe my own feelings so well. I think you are going at it much better than I. I sometimes find that I am either frozen in my steps afraid of making a decision because I know that will probably be my last time to make that decision. Or I try to stuff too much into my day because my time to finish is so much shorter.

Anyway your posting and the verses are very helpful. Thank you so much for your beginning.

Suzanne said...

Thank you Viola for your kind words and encouragement. I'm still learning how all this works and am curious how you found my blog.

Viola Larson said...

I am a friend of Dave and Barb. If you go to www.naminghisgrace.blogspot you will find me. Or if you just click on my name on your blog comments that will take you to my profile. I intend to link to your blog in several days.