Monday, October 20, 2008

Family....making a difference...a choice

We received a call from a cousin of my husband the other day.  She and her husband were in town and wanted to come by and see us.  As we chatted (I've only seen her a couple of times in 45 years) I asked if she'd seen John's other bothers and wives etc.  She hadn't so I said I'll give them a call and have you all over for dinner.  She appreciated the opportunity to see everyone. As an aside John's sister moved from the hometown a year ago. She is the glue in the family even from a distance. We miss her on a day to day basis. Part of Anne's reasoning for their trip was to retrace family history, cemeteries, homesteads etc.  Since this side of the family doesn't have "much documented history" the conversation led to a lot of questions and rememberances and some speculation.  Since I'm the last one to enter the family (in this generation) and that was 45 years ago I  listened and was somewhat saddened.  Families are broken and spoken of lightly, grandchildren living with someone, having babies and no talk of marriage,  not remembering greatgrandchildren's names.  Commenting we can't have any influence on them....they just do what they want!  That's just the way life is now.  The families are professing Christians.  What has our culture done to us or should I say to our thinking?  What is wrong with this picture?.....seems like life is spiriling out of control.

As I've thought of the evening and my own immediate family, I am oh so thankful for how God has worked and is working in and through us.  Not that we don't, haven't or won't have our difficulties.  Circumstances may not turn out the way we would like them to but because of our relationship with the Lord, knowing He is soverign and wants only His best for us we can be confidant in His love and care.

Here is a website a friend has published,  http://www.fromgrandpawithlove.com I think anyone who is serious about how God works in our lives and how we can influence subsequent generations will find it beneficial.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb said...

I think about this sometimes. Will my kids keep in touch with their cousins who are a thousand miles away and have relationship with their children? I hope so. We have good role models to lean back on.