Sunday, December 28, 2008

How am I doing?.......What am I doing??????

When I was a teenager, late 50's early 60's, we had some family friends who always had the latest gadgets. No matter what came out, Charlie had to have one. It might be the newest TV, TV remote (yes there was a day when you actually had to get out of your chair to change the channels, all 3 of them) radios, can openers and other small electronics. It was fun to see what he would get next. For those of you who are old enough to remember,  think back.....we had new things coming out but technology was nothing like it is today and certainly was not geared toward the younger generation.  Charlie and his family gave us a TV for a wedding present. It was what you call a table model in 1963, the only TV we have for many years.
We're living in a day and age and generation of being bombarded with new technology.   Just look around, computers, cell phones, cell phones that are computers. We sink this with that, we're in instant communication, texting, face booking, you name it. We can call across the world for virtually no cost and see the person you're talking to. The things mentioned are only the tip of the iceberg.   These things or "gadgets" are also accessable to almost everyone...not just the 'rich and famous.'.
We don't usually get caught up in the "latest".....we're a little slow getting off dead center, not necessarily a bad thing.
Well we are overdue for a cell phone upgrade.  I've had my eye on the Iphone.....can it do all those things that I haven't been able to figure out how to do on my Imac.?....well the Iphone isn't on "our network" so I have been waiting for the "Storm", Verizon's answer to the Iphone.  A friend ordered his the day they came out,  got it within a few days and was "learning it".  He's a techi and an engineer.  He likes it.  Wants to be able to do email while they are away for the winter.
Maybe by now you've guessed it.....John bought me a "Storm" for Christmas.  It was delivered by UPS at about 7 PM Christmas eve.  Opened it Christmas morning and began the adventure.  Or perhaps I should say the frustration.  It will not get the best of me.  Someone said I need a 10 year old to help figure it out.  We have revisited the V store (saw a 4 yr. old with double ear phones on and a device in her pocket) and I'm now activated but still don't have email set up or I've yet to get on the net.  The rep. was very pleasant, knowledgable and helpful but having taken up an hour or so of her time I decided I go home work on tutorials and then come back when the after Christmas crowd has thinned out.  Now I've gone through the tutorials on line and I've played around on it.  I've had people say "why do you need that?"  Well I'm wondering that myself.  Am I  caught up in the "media age"  or what?  Is this helping me keep my mind "young and fit"?  Well I'm going to keep working on learning the "Storm".  I did find out I have 30 days to be satisfied and that takes the pressure off so if I really don't like using it I can take it back.  I will know how it works though before the 30 days are up!
I want to be able to get on face book.  That's another post!

2 comments:

Barb said...

I think it does take a certain something to keep learning with the new technology. I don't have it. I prefer instinctive technology - like the macs. I can't be bothered with all the extras on my cell phone. Oh, they bug me, really! I just want to use it to receive and make calls. I need a jitterbug!

But I think you're in a posture of learning which is beneficial at every age. Good on you!

Dave Moody said...

Aidan will hook you up, no problem!